Friday, April 16, 2010

Spring in New England



It was 92 degrees last Wednesday. Today it was a high of 40 and we had snow flurries. This week at the bus stop I stood in my flip flops next to a girl wearing Uggs and her winter coat. Ah, spring in New England. It's a confusing time of year but there's nothing like it.

Those first few days of nice weather in Boston can't be beat...everyone is in a better mood, everyone is outside, the swan boats go in at the Public Garden, the Duck Tours are back in the Charles, the Red Sox are back on the field and the dogwood trees are in bloom.

The dogwood tree flowers show up quickly each April and only stick around for a few weeks. But seeing them in bloom always makes me so happy. It reminds me of spring. It reminds me of nice weather and all the summer events ahead. It reminds of moving home to Boston because I moved home 5 years ago in the spring. It reminds me of my niece being born. And it is the start of flip flop season in New England. And I love flip flop season.

What I need now is a reminder of the end of flip flop season since I have in the past been judged by a homeless person in Central Square telling me to "put my toes away for the wintah". I guess snow shouldn't be my reminder that flip flop season is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment